Monday, March 30, 2009

so this was a little frustrating...

I went to a play today, put on by a drama group at the local high school. The play was written by the vie-principal, and the student actors really were very good. They were very entertaining to watch. The frustration was the play itself. The take-away message was “God has a plan for each of us, if you try to do more than God has planned for you, bad things will happen.” So, in other words, if things aren‘t better, its because God doesn’t want them to be, and its wrong to try to change that, so sit tight and accept the status quo. Wow. No wonder this country isn’t developing.
I’d encountered fatalistic attitudes here before, I guess I’d just never heard them outright preached. And its hard….because I consider it my job to be a cheerleader for change(nice alliteration Whitney, and not the least bit cheesy ;-)
I can’t change a whole culture all by myself. I don’t even want to try to do that. I need to find the people who are already trying to do big things anyway, despite the social mores against it (ooh vocab word, its called “positive deviance”), and really make an example of them and help them be successful in any way I can, therefore encouraging other people to do big things too. Those people are certainly here, they are just hard to find sometimes.

No comments: