Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Did You Know?




Hey! Did you know how cashews grow? I had no idea! They’re just coming into season right now, and I was surprised at how they look on the tree, so I thought that I would share.
On the tree, a sort of smallish fruit grows, then dangling from that fruit is a sort of bean-shaped thing, and that’s the cashew! It’s a funny little fruit…the juice and flesh are very tart, and despite being very juicy, it sort of dries your mouth out when you eat it. I don’t know how else to describe it. I do think its yummy to eat fresh though, and I know that some people make a wine or liquor out of it, though I’m not sure where to find it in this country. The juice is very caustic, and I’m told that if you leave it overnight on clothes that it will wear a hole in them. The nut itself is encased is sort of a leathery skin, you burn this, then crush it with a rock, then you can eat the cashew! I’m told that if you don’t burn it, and just open it up, the juice inside can give you some itchy blisters. Here are some pictures! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Hi Whitney. Yes the cashew fruit is bizarre. I discovered it in Peace Corps El Salvador. There they freeze the fruit and it makes for a good popsicle on a hot day. Much less chalky when frozen.
--Carolyn