Thursday, April 9, 2009











Hey all

I felt like doing another entry on cashews. We are well into cashew season in Western Region, and they are everywhere! I realize that this is a little snap-happy, but I just think the fruit is so beautiful! There is such a variety of color! You get really lemony yellows, and cranberry reds, and every shade of orangey-peach in between. I really do think that they are just such a beautiful fruit.
And sadly they go to waste! They are falling off trees left and right in the fields near me. Many kids eat them (or throw them at passing cars), but many people don’t. The tart taste must not be for everyone. Anyhoo, so I’ve been experimenting with cashew jam, and cashew wine, pictures of which have been included here. The jam has turned out well and is very tasty. My host family enjoyed it, but I don’t think they have any interest in making it. Oh well, maybe someone else. The wine is still fermenting, so I have no idea what to expect from that.
Say! Are those condoms on top of those bottles? Why would you do that? Yes, they are. (thanks Peace Corps med kit)by putting condoms on top of the bottles, and poking small holes in them it acts as a sort of one-way valve allowing carbon dioxide to escape, while not allowing liquid to evaporate, or any contamination from the air to land. Plus, when the condom deflates, I’ll know my fermentation is over.

The pictures displayed here of the suspended transparent tent are of my solar food dryer that I have erected in my back yard. I’ve been successful at drying bananas and cashew fruit thus far. Its not crunchy like freeze-dried food, which is what I was going for, but more like fruit leather. Its still tasty and doesn’t spoil. The kids have liked the dried fruit that I’ve given them to sample, but the adults have just smiled as though to indulge me, and then given their sample to a child. ;-)

In other news of hobbies, my garden is turning out wonderfully and I’ve had time to return to poetry writing, which has been nice. Work, plus these activities have kept me rather busy.

Thanks to all of you who have sent mail. Its always a day-brightener!

Wheeee!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Hi Whitney, do you have electricity/a freezer there? If so, in El Salvador they put cashew fruit in the freezer and turned the fruit into popsicles. The chalky texture was better when it was frozen.